Subtopics on this page…
Tutorial #4: TCM Herbal Tutor
- Copy and paste the following into a text document using any simple text editor (Mac OS X: TextEdit; Windows: WordPad, Notepad). You will be filling in your answers (between the [ ] marks) during this tutorial and then emailing your completed questionnaire to your assigned tutor.
- Most questions will require YES/NO answers.
- Now you are ready to actually begin the tutorial. Follow the instructions in the remainder of this tutorial, and then fill in your answers to the questionnaire when asked to do so.
============ HERBALTHINK-TCM BEGINNER TUTORIAL #4 QUESTIONNAIRE ==========
A-0: Were you able to successfully complete a brief game session with TCM
Herbal Tutor? [ ]
A-1: Did you remember to apply your system Magnifier/Zoom feature to the
Herbal Tutor window to make it easier to see? [ ]
A-2: Do you have any questions about the games, managing your Progress files,
or any other issues regarding TCM Herbal Tutor (if 'YES', please list them)?
A-3: Attach a copy of your current TCM Herbal Tutor Progress File to your
=============================== END ======================================
TCM Herbal Tutor
The TCM Herbal Tutor interactive game software has been a key component of RMHI's curriculum since the year 2000. We have 15 years of statistics proving that students who diligently use it during their first year of studies are then able to apply these skills in analyzing complex clinical cases with multiple syndrome-patterns, an ability that many conventionally educated TCM herbalists never acquire, even after decades of practice. At whatever level you plan to study, this software will give you insights that no amount of rote memorization, reading of classic texts, etc. will provide.
To use TCM Herbal Tutor effectively, you will need to first complete the following assignments:
- Learn the Eight Principal Patterns. Read and study TCHS Vol.1, Ch. 6 ("The Eight Principal Patterns"). Familiarize yourself with all the patterns defined within that chapter. You don't necessarily need to memorize those patterns, but you may want to read that chapter several times until you feel you understand it well.
- TCM Herbal Tutor instructions. Carefully follow the instructions in Lesson #A-04 ("Introduction to the TCM Herbal Tutor"). These instructions will show you strategies for getting the most out of your game sessions.
- Play your first game. The first time you start TCM Herbal Tutor, you will be asked if you want to create a new Progress File. Answer "YES", then specify the file name and the location where you want to save it. We strongly recommend that you create a special folder (e.g.: myHerbalTutorProgress ) within your user Documents folder and then save the file as something like DoeJohn-htutor-MAIN .
Then proceed to play a syndrome game for 30 minutes or so. Examine the "Progress Report" see Progress Report button at top right of Study Advisor window. As you learn the material, your scores will very gradually creep upward; these are not percentages. Patience and persistence are the watchwords here.
Note about scores: ignore the single number [score=N] that appears in the Study Advisor window after each game type. That number will bounce around a lot when new material is introduced we should have avoided displaying it at all. The Progress Report is where all the important score items are kept.
Be sure to save your file before quitting.
- Score requirements. See Admissions aptitude test — TCM Herbal Tutor minimum required scores for score requirements if you are applying to qualify as an Active Member in RMHI's online brainstorming network or for admission as an RMHI certification candidate.
- For more information about the V123 brainstorming network:
V123 Join V123 (see User Agreement)
Managing your Progress Files is important. From previous students' experience, we strongly recommend that you do the following:
- Make regular backup copies. Read Lesson #A-04c (Managing TCM Herbal Tutor Progress files). Make a backup copy right now, keep it in a special folder (e.g.: myHerbalTutorProgress ), and name it something like DoeJohn-htutor-[archiveDate] . Make a backup of your main Progress File on a regular schedule, like every 2 weeks.
- Continue to use your main Progress File. Whenever you restart TCM Herbal Tutor, you should continue to use your main Progress File (e.g.: DoeJohn-htutor-MAIN ).
Questionnaire TCM Herbal Tutor
- A-0: Were you able to successfully complete a brief game session with TCM Herbal Tutor?
- A-1: Did you remember to apply your system Magnifier/Zoom feature to the Herbal Tutor window to make it easier to see?
- A-2: Do you have any questions about the games, managing your Progress files, or any other issues regarding TCM Herbal Tutor?
If 'yes', please indicate whether you would like to arrange a phone tutorial to discuss them. Alternatively, if the questions are simple, you can list them here and we can try to resolve them via email.
- A-3: Attach a copy of your current TCM Herbal Tutor Progress File to your emailed questionnaire.
Summary of what you learned in this tutorial
Determining the symptom-sign patterns that accurately describe an individual's condition can sometimes be tricky. (Traditional Chinese medicine has long had a reputation for being difficult to learn.) How many symptoms and sign clues must be present from a patterns's definition before one can reliably conclude that that pattern really describes one's condition? The TCM Herbal Tutor games will help you answer this crucial question and will develop your skills in pattern analysis better than any other study method. And it is a lot more entertaining!
Go to Tutorial #5: TCM Pulse Simulator